NI is hosting this service on the cloud - all you have to do is create an NI Hosted Services account to gain and control access to the cloud dashboards you create and write the VIs that interact with the service.
Your NI Cloud Dashboard is controlled by the VI on your device, which creates and updates these features on its web portal:
- Basic Information - key/value pairs like <Serial Number>:<DN0156>
- Event messages - like "Device went online" and "Over-temperature condition"
- Data feeds - graphs of current data being sent from the device
- Triggers - toggles to initiate/terminate activities on the device
Once you've created a dashboard you can use the portal to share it with other NI Cloud Dashboard users.
The NI Cloud Dashboard service is a research prototype and is not as robust as a supported web service. Please limit your use of the service to eight devices, and a maximum of eight data feeds per device. If you would like to conduct tests with larger numbers of devices and data feeds, please contact email@example.com in advance.
Over-use or abuse: If you generate too much activity NI will first request that you reduce your activity via the e-mail address associated with your NI Cloud Dashboard account ("your e-mail address"). If that fails, NI may terminate your devices or terminate your NI Cloud Dashboard account at its discretion.
Clean-up and Purging: NI will periodically scan the service for "stale" devices, meaning there has been no recent activity on the service or the portal from that device, and delete those devices. NI will attempt to notify you in advance via the e-mail address associated with your NI Cloud Dashboard account.
LabVIEW 2013 or later and a PC or NI hardware with an internet connection.
Feedback & Support
Please post any questions, comments, bug reports, or other feedback in the NI Cloud Dashboard Service Discussion.
The NI Cloud Dashboard Service is provided as an unsupported service. If you encounter a problem with this service, have usage tips to share, etc., please post to the general discussion forum for this service: NI Cloud Dashboard Service Discussion. Do not call National Instruments for support of this service.
The attached Code is provided As Is. It has not been tested or validated as a product, for use in a deployed application or system, or for use in hazardous environments. You assume all risks for use of the Code and use of the Code is subject to the Sample Code License Terms which can be found at http://ni.com/samplecodelicense.
Getting started with the NI Cloud Dashboard
Create an NI Cloud Dashboard account
Here's how you get your account created
- Navigate to cdb.niwsc.com/dashboard/#/
- Click/tap on "Create Free Account"
- Enter your e-mail address and click/tap "Sign Up"
- Check your e-mail inbox for a message containing your account creation instructions
Find your NI Cloud Dashboard portal
Complete the following steps to log into your NI Cloud Dashboard:
- Navigate to cdb.niwsc.com/dashboard/#/
- Click/tap on "Sign in"
- Enter your e-mail address and password
Create and download an access key
The VIs you write will need a key to access your NI Cloud Dashboard service
- Sign in to your NI Cloud Dashboard portal from your development PC
- Click on "Keys"
- Click "Create New Key"
- Enter a name and expiration date, then select the permissions for this key
- For the example, select read, write, and enabled
- Find the new key in the list, and click/tap on "Download" to save it onto your development PC
- Give it an easy-to-remember name, like "keyFile.txt"
- Remember where you saved it.
Get the Cloud Dashboard.vi example
The example demonstrates how your VIs interact with the NI Cloud Dashboard service.
- Download the attached CloudDashboard.zip file.
- Unzip the file to your local disk to create the clouddashboard.vip file
- Run clouddashboard.vip (with VI Package Manager) and follow the instructions on the screen to:
- Accept the license agreement
- Choose the default location to install
- Install an "NI Cloud Dashboard" link in LabVIEW help
- Add a Cloud Dashboard VI palette to NI Add-ons
Run the Cloud Dashboard.vi example
These instructions can also be found on the NI Cloud Dashboard help docs online at: http://cdb-help.niwsc.com/ under "example"
- Open the Cloud Dashboard.vi example in LabVIEW
- Enter the key you created and downloaded into the "file path to keyFile.txt" field
- Run the VI
- Sign in to your NI Cloud Dashboard portal at cdb.niwsc.com/dashboard/#/
- Click/Tap on "Devices" to see your demo device
- Click on the chart icon to see data feeds from your device
- Currently, there aren't any
- Click on the cloud with up arrow icon to see triggers to control your VI.
- Click the "Initialize" trigger to:
- Create two data feeds
- Create a new "Start" trigger
- Click the chart icon to see that data feeds have been added
- Note: There isn't any data being published yet - you have to trigger that, too.
- Click the cloud with up arrow icon to see your triggers again
- Click on the "Start" trigger to:
- Tell your VI to start publishing simulated data
- Create two new triggers - "Done" and "Pause"
- Return to the data feed area to see the data being published.
- Click on the eye icon to the left of each feed to hide/show that feed.
- The information icon - information about your device
- The envelope icon - messages from your device
- The people icon - share your cloud dashboard
- The gauge icon - see the complete dashboard.
- Return to the trigger area
- Click the "Pause" trigger to temporarily stop the data feeds
- Click the "Done" trigger when you are finished
- WARNING: This will delete the device and all of the triggers, events, and data feeds associated with it.
- To see them again, re-run the VI
Write your own VIs that create and manage cloud dashboards
Now that you have the Cloud Dashboard.vi example under your belt, and the VI palette installed in LabVIEW, start building your own dashboards. The documents at http://cdb-help.niwsc.com/ and in LabVIEW help explain how to use the VIs and what shows up in the dashboard.